Nov 29, 2012
Very Veggie Barley Soup
This soup contains not only a medley of fresh, vibrant veggies but also whole barley and chickpeas. It’s a meal in itself! It may seem like a large amount of ingredients but I like this recipe because it’s a huge pot full so you can make it ahead and eat it all week long. Perfect for the fast approaching winter months!
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots
- 1 large beet
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 daikon root (or parsnip)
- 2 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 package (or 1 can) sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans Eden garbanzo beans
- 2 TBS veggie soup base (I use Vogue brand)
- 1 TBS Bragg’s Organic Sprinkle (herbs & spices seasoning mix)
- 2 TBS Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or to taste)
- 1 750gm container chopped tomatoes (I use Pom brand)
- 2 cups cooked hulled barley (not “pearled” barley)
- Cook the barley until tender ahead of time, using 1cup barley and 2.5 cups water. Cook the same way as you would rice.
- Chop all the veggies about the same size, into bite-sized pieces (about 1”)
- Place ALL ingredients into a large pot and cover with water.
- Let simmer at least 1 hour or until all veggies are tender.
- If you prefer a heartier version, you can put about ¼ of the soup, after it’s cooked, into a blender and then add it back to the pot.
Makes a LOT! (seriously, about 16 cups) Enjoy!