Feb 09, 2013
Winter Salad + Creamy Walnut Dressing
Salads are not usually popular in wintry climates. At least not for me. I mostly want something WARM when it’s cold outside. This salad is cold, obviously, but it does use some luscious winter fruits and flavorful walnuts. For this salad I used Organic Girl’s vive le France lettuce mix, a delightful medley of mâche rosettes, baby chard, baby arugula and radicchio.
~ for the salad
- Lettuce or baby greens of your choice
- 1 large pear
- 1 large apple
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked if possible)
- handful of raw walnuts to garnish
~ for the creamy walnut dressing
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts (see notes)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or any low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Blend all dressing ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth.
- Chop pear into bite-sized pieces
- Shred apple in a food processor (or by hand)
- Toss salad with dressing, top with fruit, sunflower seeds and walnuts.
Helyn’s Notes: It’s important to have fresh walnuts for this recipe. As walnuts age (out of the shell) they can take on a bitter taste which would not be very pleasant in this creamy dressing. For me it’s a constant challenge to find fresh nuts. In the winter months it’s easier. I usually first check my health food store’s bulk bins. Otherwise, you can sometimes find fresh nuts online.
Serves 2. Enjoy!