Mar 05, 2013
Eggless Egg Salad Sandwich
I made this for my mom, the Brooklyn girl who loves her egg salad! We both devoured it on Ezekiel bread for lunch. I am also working on a tofu and mayo-free eggless egg salad and I think I have it almost nailed. Just putting the finishing touches on it and then I will post that one for you as well.
- 1 14 oz. package extra-firm tofu
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Vegenaise (see notes)
- 1 TBS dried onion flakes
- 1 TBS yellow mustard
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mild yellow curry (optional)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt-free Spike (see notes)
- Drain the tofu and squeeze out as much water as possible. I use paper towels for this but you can also sit it on a strainer and let it drain out. Takes a lot longer.
- Place tofu in a bowl and break it apart.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- If you like your egg salad with pickle relish, you can certainly add some, too.
- Place in refrigerator for about one hour to let the onion flakes soften and the flavors meld together.
Helyn’s Notes: Salt-free Spike is a total MUST in a vegan kitchen and especially a nutritarian kitchen. It is a wonderful blend of veggies and spices and a great replacement for sodium. A lot of grocery stores and almost all health food stores carry it. Otherwise you can purchase it here.
I don’t often use products like Vegenaise since it is quite processed and does contain added oil. For the soy-free version of my eggless salad, I will be using cashew mayonnaise—watch for that recipe soon!
|Nonna, enjoying her sammich!|