Apr 05, 2013
Kreamy Kiwi Smoothie
The unique, sweet flavor of a kiwi is so refreshing! Add to that the creaminess of blended Brazil nuts and mmmmm… a satisfying, nutritious breakfast smoothie.
- 4 kiwis
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1/4 cup raw Brazil nuts
- 2 cups coconut water
- 4 TBS raw hemp seeds
- 2 medjool dates
- handful of mild-tasting greens, such as spinach or lettuce
- ~ 2 TBS chopped parsley
- Place the Brazil nuts and 1/2 cup coconut water in a high powered blender and blend until the nuts are very smooth.
- Remove the peels from the oranges and add to the blender whole with all remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the kiwis. Blend until smooth.
- Peel the kiwis and add to the blender. Blend on LOW until just mixed. The reason I add the kiwis last and don’t blend a lot is because it’s really nice to have those little black kiwi seeds stay whole! Adds a little crunch and texture.
- Garnish with some extra kiwi and orange slices if you like.
Makes 2 large smoothies. Enjoy!
- Forastiere F, Pistelli R, Sestini P, Fortes C, Renzoni E, Rusconi F, Dell’Orco V, Ciccone G, Bisanti L. Consumption of fresh fruit rich in vitamin C and wheezing symptoms in children. SIDRIA Collaborative Group, Italy (Italian Studies on Respiratory Disorders in Children and the Environment).
- Díez-Gómez ML, Quirce S, Aragoneses E, Cuevas M. Asthma caused by Ficus benjamina latex: evidence of cross-reactivity with fig fruit and papain. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 1998 Jan;80(1):24-30.
- Duttaroy AK, Jørgensen A. Effects of kiwi fruit consumption on platelet aggregation and plasma lipids in healthy human volunteers.Platelets. 2004 Aug;15(5):287-92.
- Collins AR, Harrington V, Drew J, Melvin R. Source Institute for Nutrition Research, University of Oslo, POB 1046 Blindern, N-0316 Oslo, Norway. PMID: 12663512 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]