Jun 16, 2013

Frozen Lime Slushie

Happy Father’s Day to all you dads out there!!!

I imagine, for some, today will be celebrated with grilling and barbecue fare so I thought I’d share this wonderful drink which would pair well with any outdoor, summer meal. It’s super refreshing and quite tasty. I was debating on calling it a Margarita. With some tequila, it would probably be VERY close in taste. But since it’s non-alcoholic AND healthy, I decided to simply call it a slushie.

Have you ever had frozen grapes? I freeze them all the time in the summer. They make wonderful snacks! And now… I found out they’re great in frozen drinks, too.

• 3 cups frozen green grapes (Make sure they’re organic! See notes.)
  • 1 large organic lime, peeled
  • zest of the same lime
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • handful of ice

• Toss everything into a high-powered blender and let ‘er rip!

Helyn’s Notes: Grapes are one of the most heavily sprayed fruits. It’s very important to consume only organic to avoid harmful insecticides. Organic grapes are finally in season and available in most health food stores. When I find them, I buy a bunch and freeze them!

Serves 2. Enjoy!

~ For my dad… 1922-2011

He’s the man over there, still standing tall
A simple man, too humble for pride
With a head full of logic
And a heart as gold as the sky is wide

A spirit so quiet
It whispers only to my soul

Yet so strong
It fills my universe
With symphonies of love.

my dad ~ circa 1970

6 responses to “Frozen Lime Slushie”

1. moonwatcher says:

Hi Helyn!

I think I found your blog through Carrie On Vegan, and I've been enjoying taking a look at it ever since. I love frozen grapes and this lime slushie sounds fantastic. Great old photo of your Dad, too. Makes me think of mine, now departed, with love and gratitude.

When you get a chance, if you'd like, come take a look at my blog over at fatfreevegan.com. Here's the URL:http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

I'm a little more low fat than you, but hey, we're all in the same family!!

Hugs,

Maria

Hi Maria!

Thanks very much! I clicked over to your site and it's FABULOUS! Hey, are you related in any way to Susan Voisin over at Fat Free Vegan Kitchen? I've seen her blog a bunch of times, even way before I started mine πŸ™‚ Anyway, yes you're right we're all in the same family and it's a great one at that!

xo,
    Helyn

3. moonwatcher says:

HI again Helyn, I've been meaning to let you know that I bought some grapes and froze them and I've made a single serving version of this 3 times. It is wonderful! The fresh lime in the mix is inspired. I was able to whip a small amount up in my food processor, and the texture was fine. I couldn't find coconut water that didn't have a lot of sodium in it so I used a pear flavored fruit water. Thank you so much! It's really a delicious, refreshing and healthy treat on a hot night!

xo

Maria

That's just great, Maria! Thanks for letting me know. The pear water sounds interesting… where do you get it?

5. moonwatcher says:

Hi Helyn–I got it at my co-op a few inches away from what they had for coconut water in the refrigerated case. It didn't have any added sodium or sugar, so I decided to try it. There are different fruit flavors–it's called "hint." (undreneath it says, "drink water, not sugar"–just what I was looking for–a little extra flavor wtihout sugar or sodium!) To answer your earlier question, I am "related" to Susan in that we have become good friends over the last 5 years of my eating this way. Last October she invited me to write a blog on her site. She offered to build it, if I would learn now to use word press and take photos. So she is also my mentor. I am very grateful to her for helping me get started about bringing my writing and my experience with eating like this to a wider audience. In an indirect way, that's how I found your blog. All wonderful. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Maria! πŸ™‚