Jul 26, 2013
I don’t know about you, but lately I have been getting really tired of paying up to $3.00 per quart for soymilk, almond milk and the like. And it is getting more and more difficult to find these non-dairy beverages that do not contain tons of fillers and additives such as carrageenan, calcium carbonate, salt, sugar and vitamins (there are risks associated with consuming more vitamin A and vitamin E than what we naturally receive in our diets).
Ordinarily when making nut milks you need a special “nut bag” to strain out the pulp. Not so with cashew milk. If you have a high-powered blender, like a VitaMix, it blends up perfectly. No straining needed! And it’s delightfully creamy with a mild flavor. Cashew milk is wonderful on hot cereal, in smoothies or as a sauce base. Add some cocoa powder and a little date sugar for a yummy, healthy treat!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups water
- 1 medjool date
- Place the nuts and date in a high powered blender.
- Add just enough water to cover and blend on high until completely smooth.
- Add the rest of the water and blend on high again to combine.
- Store in a glass container. Keeps fresh for about 5 days, refrigerated.
- Shake well before serving.