Jul 11, 2013
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Hey, just because it’s summer here doesn’t mean that I still can’t enjoy a delicious bowl of creamy soup. Amidst all the fresh fruit and satisfying smoothies I will always love my soups! This recipe is so easy to make and has minimal ingredients. I have a Broccoli Cheese Soup on my blog but sometimes less is more and this soup was the perfect quick-fix lunch at our house yesterday.
I’ve been so busy with my son here visiting. He keeps us running, that’s for sure! After the rain yesterday afternoon we took a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Always so beautiful and a great way to cool off… it was 12 degrees cooler up there. See below for some photos!
Well, we’re off to have more fun in a bit, so before I get too long-winded, here is today’s recipe!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 large shallot (or 1/2 of a small onion), diced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 1 TBS veggie base
- 2 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos or other low sodium soy sauce
- 1 medjool date, pit removed
- Chop the broccoli roughly and add it to a soup pot. Use the stems… it will all be blended together in the end and there are nutrients in there, too!
- Add fresh water, enough to cover plus about an inch more.
- Add the shallot, Spike, veggie base and Bragg’s and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer until the broccoli is just tender.
- While the broccoli is cooking, add the cashews and just enough of the soup base to cover them to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- When the broccoli is tender, add it and the remaining soup liquid to the blender with the cashews and blend until smooth. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Garnish with some freshly grated black pepper and anything else you prefer. I used some fresh sunflower sprouts and they were a great addition!
Serves 4. Enjoy!
|My amazing son|
|My adorable man|
|Of course my son has a sports car… he’s married to it. I may never have grandkids! :))|
|My heart bursts with love for him…|