Sep 21, 2013
Gluten-free, Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes + New Product Review
There’s a new gal in town. And her name is The Date Lady. She was the inspiration for this amazing breakfast treat. Well, not her directly, but her new DATE SYRUP. Nothin’ but dates. Yeah. I don’t know how she does it but this stuff ROCKS. Seriously. It reminds me a little of molasses, only better… more mellow. And of course being made from dates, it’s loaded with minerals and other good stuff. Since I use dates predominantly in my sweet recipe treats, I thought I’d give her a try. I’m glad I did. And so were the others in my house who devoured these! And by the way, The Date Lady also sells caramel sauce already prepared but I tried my hand at making my own using her date syrup and it turned out great!
|photos ripped from the Date Lady’s site|
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 apple, finely chopped (make SURE you chop it finely—I made the mistake of leaving the apple chunks too big and they interfered a bit in the flipping process!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBS almond butter
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS flax meal + 4 TBS water
- a little vegetable oil for the griddle
- 3-4 sliced apples for topping
~ for the caramel sauce:
- ½ cup date syrup
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
|Check out these beauties… 10 pounds of organic apples for $5 at my local Farmer’s Market!|
- Mix the flax meal and the water and set aside.
- Get a griddle hot on medium heat.
- Mix all of the dry pancake ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients.
- When the griddle is hot, add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well to combine.
- Add a small amount of oil to prevent sticking, unless you have a high quality non-stick griddle. Drop batter by ¼ cup onto the griddle and cook until the edges are dry and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip and cook until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Heat the caramel sauce ingredients in a small pot until warm.
- Top the pancakes with the extra apple slices and the warm sauce.