Sep 13, 2013
Quick & Easy Lentil Stuffed Mushrooms
I mean it when I say this is a quick and easy recipe. I think it took me about five minutes to put it together and get it in the oven. Of course, I had some vegan almond parmesan cheese already made. But if you don’t have any of that on hand you can substitute it with some plain nutritional yeast.
I don’t usually used pre-prepared foods, especially when they come out of a can! But I found these prepared lentils by Eden foods that are just delish and not too heavy on the sodium:
|If you can’t find these in your health food store,
I found some on VitaCost, HERE.
Once in a while, the cook needs a break, right? So here you have this ultra-simple recipe with a pretty amazing nutritional profile… add a big salad or some steamed greens and call it a night!
- 10 large, white stuffing mushrooms
- 1 15 oz. can Eden Lentils
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- ¼ cup vegan almond parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Take the stems off the mushrooms (save them for soup stock!)
- Stuff the shrooms with the lentils.
- Top with a sprinkle of Spike and some vegan parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast)
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and broil for 5 minutes before serving.
I served these with yesterday’s Spinach Souffle recipe and it was a wonderful and filling meal. It served 4 of us. My honey said he would have preferred it if there was something else in the stuffing mix to hold the lentils together (they were happily dancing around on the plate when we were trying to eat them)… so you could mix the lentils with a little nut butter if you like. I thought they were perfectly fine on their own and preferred to keep the recipe simple.