Oct 12, 2013
Date-sweetened Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Week: Day 7
Greetings culinary crusaders! Wrapping up a week of pumpkin-everything here with a traditional pumpkin pie. Well, it tastes traditional but the ingredients are anything but! Creamy cashews and soy milk replace the canned condensed milk and mineral-rich dates replace the sugar. Using homemade pumpkin purée makes it extra special, too! This pumpkin pie is so creamy and luscious it won’t stay around for long… so be prepared. You may want to make two!
- 15 oz. pumpkin purée
- 10 medjool dates, pits removed
- 1¼ cups raw cashews
- 1½ cups unsweetened soy milk or other unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 TBS tapioca flour (optional, makes a bit firmer pie)
- 1 vegan pie crust (see my recipe for grain-free 2-ingredient pie crust here)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place dates and 1 cup of the milk in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining milk and cashews and blend again until smooth, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Pour into the pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until puffed up and slightly cracked on the top.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.