Nov 13, 2013
Pomegranate Apple Cranberry Relish
This is a unique take on the traditional and familiar cranberry sauce that decorates most holiday tables. The raw chunks of sweet apple and the tart pops of flavor from the pomegranate seeds really elevates this dish to something special, indeed. The flavor and the aroma… it’s like Christmas in a bowl!
I know that a few of you were interested in a “Pomegranate Week” but really not that many to warrant a whole week featuring those beautiful, ruby masterpieces of nature. So instead I will share some recipes which include pomegranates in and amongst the holiday dishes that I will be posting over the next ten days… up until Thanksgiving, which is now only a little over two weeks away! Yikes. Are you prepared? Do you have a menu plan? Well, add this tasty delight to your holiday menu, because you, your family and your guests will love it.
- 1 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
- 2 oranges
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 2 TBS date syrup (or date sugar)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 cups pomegranate seeds (1 pomegranate’s worth—you’ll probably have extra)
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of ground clove
- Place the cranberries and the juice of one orange plus the pomegranate juice into a sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat until the cranberries pop.
- While the cranberries are cooking, zest the remaining orange and then peel the skin and section it. Add the zest and the orange sections to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the apple and the pomegranate seeds) to the pot and simmer until it is well reduced. It should be the consistency of a jam.
- Let cool and fold in the pomegranate seeds. Refrigerate.
- Stir in the diced apple just before serving to keep the apple bits crisp.
Makes about 4 cups. Enjoy!