Dec 16, 2013
Italian Anise Cookies. Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free.
Christmas Cookies: Day 8.
As far as the look? Well, unfortunately there just isn’t anything that is healthy that looks like powdered sugar, which is what these cookies are usually coated in. Instead I made a super fine dust out of some coconut sugar that I had and it stuck pretty well, but certainly not like powdered sugar on a batch of cookies made with a whole stick of butter would…
I love the flavor of anise and these cookies really deliver the goods on that note. I hope you’ve been enjoying my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies so far. It’s been a lot of work for me but a lot of fun as well!
- 2 cups gluten-free, all purpose flour (or whole spelt)
- ¼ cup tapioca flour, potato starch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground anise seeds
- 1 TBS ground flax seeds + 3 TBS water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup raw cashew butter
- 2 tsp pure anise extract
- ¼ cup minimally processed granulated sweetener for dusting (optional)
- Combine the flax with the water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place all wet ingredients, including the flax mixture, in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until you have a smooth dough. Hands work well to mush it all together!
- Shape into balls about 2″ in diameter and place on the cookie sheet.
- Flatten just a little so that the bottoms are flat but the tops are still rounded.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Dust with a fine sugar of your choosing (optional). To make the sugar, simply place the granulated sugar into a blender and blend until fine.
- Cool and serve.
Makes 2 dozen. Enjoy!
Healthy cookie trails,