Jan 29, 2014
Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower Bites + 10 More Vegan Dishes for GAME DAY!
Superbowl Sunday is coming! Which team are you rooting for? Serve up some fun, healthy vegan treats this year… starting with these amazingly tasty Buffalo Cauliflower Bites! I’ve not eaten many Buffalo Wings in my life. I wasn’t keen on the spiciness nor the tiny wings that were so much work to eat. Enter cauliflower. Oh, yeah babe! A healthy snack, perfect for cheering on your players!
There IS an easier way to make these, which is simply to roast the cauliflower florets and then just douse them with your favorite hot/wing sauce. I decided to go the extra measure, however, and coat them in a spicy batter instead. Not as messy, no store-bought sauce and so, so yummy.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 TBS smoked paprika
~ for the batter
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used soy)
- 2 TBS of your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 1 TBS smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼-1 tsp ground cayenne pepper (depending on your heat tolerance)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large ziplock bag with the oil and shake until the florets are lightly coated (you may have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your cauliflower (and bag).
- Lay the florets out onto a baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with 1 TBS of smoked paprika.
- Bake for 20 minutes and set aside to cool
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper and decrease the oven temperature to 325° F.
- Mix all of the batter ingredients together and when the florets are cool enough to handle, dredge the tops in the batter and lay out on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 TBS smoked paprika. I had to bake these in two batches on a full sized cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then flip the florets and bake for another 15-20 minutes. You want the batter to be completely cooked and as dry as possible.
- Serve with celery ribs and some homemade vegan bleu cheese dressing.