Jan 25, 2014
Raita, pronounced rāytā , is an Indian condiment which can be used as a sauce, a dip or a salad. It is traditionally smothered in yogurt. I made a cashew-based sauce instead and the result was yum! The cashews add a slight natural sweetness to the dish which is a great compliment to the tangy onion and the aromatic cumin.
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup cooked, unsalted garbanzo beans
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
~ for the sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp miso paste
- juice of ½ lemon
- Place the cashews and one cup of water in a high-powered blender*. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth.
- Toss the sauce and the other ingredients together.
* If you don’t have a high-powered blender you can just soak the cashews for a couple of hours and then any blender will do.