May 02, 2014
Kreamy Kale Stuffed Mushrooms ~ Only 5 Ingredients!
This minimalist dish has a fantastic flavor profile considering how few ingredients are involved. Create it as an appetizer for a party or enjoy it as a main dish or a side! It’s a breeze to put together and it makes a wonderful presentation. I’m always thinking of new ways to enjoy kale, the staple superhero food in my life. I love it in my morning smoothies (always), in salads, on sandwiches… yep, kale is king in my book!
On to the recipe…
- ½ pound kale, rough chopped and thick inner stems removed
- 8 large stuffing mushrooms (about 2½-3″ in diameter)
- 1 cup raw cashews + 1 cup water
- 1 TBS dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg, plus a bit more to top
- handful of pine nuts for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Steam the kale until just tender.
- Place the cashews, onion flakes and nutmeg in a high-powered blender with 1 cup of water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place the kale and the cashew cream in a food processor and pulse just a few times to chop the kale more finely and combine it with the cream.
- Remove the mushrooms’ stems (save for soup stock!), place them in a baking dish and stuff with the kale mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the shrooms are tender and have started leaking some of their water.
- Garnish with some pine nuts if you like. I served mine on a bed of arugula 🙂
Makes 8 large, stuffed mushrooms. Enjoy!