Jun 09, 2014
Beer Battered Chicken of the Woods Mushrooms
I don’t expect many of you to have access to these woodland gems but if you can find them, get them! We live in the Smoky Mountains and this past weekend at the Farmer’s Market we came across a mushroom farmer who had these amazing looking shrooms at his booth. Wow! They’re so interesting looking… and tasting! The texture is, yes, a little like chicken. And it’s uncanny how it looks just like white meat chicken when it’s cooked. The flavor is very subtle and reminds me a little of chicken and a little of scallops, without the fishiness.
|Chicken of the Woods mushrooms|
- 8 oz. chicken of the woods mushrooms
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp Spike salt-free seasoning
- 1 cup beer
- other spices of your choice, to taste—I used a little cayenne pepper
- Mix all batter ingredients together and dredge the mushroom medallions. Then fry in a lightly oiled non-stick skillet, until golden brown on both sides, flipping once. Lightly salt if desired.
I served them with a big salad and made a horseradish dipping sauce for them, too. Delicious!