Jul 07, 2014

Homemade Rice Milk ~ Easy!

Why does anyone buy rice milk when it’s so easy to make? Not only that, but the pre-made rice milks in the stores contain all sorts of additives that I am not willing to put in my body. All you need are the right tools and this recipe could not be simpler. Those tools are a blender and a nutmilk bag, which you can get at any health food store. I did a lot of research to find the best one, so I have it up on my Amazon store, here if you prefer to buy one online.

Here is the easy recipe…

• 1 cup cooked short-grain brown rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 dates, pitted
  • pinch of salt (optional)

1. Place the dates, the rice and about one cup of water in the blender and blend until smooth. Add remaining water and salt (if using), and blend again until there are no bits of dates left. I let mine run for about 2 minutes.
  2. Strain the milk through a nut bag and squeeze out all of the liquid.
  3. Refrigerate in a glass container. Stays fresh for 3-4 days.

Makes one quart. Enjoy!

12 responses to “Homemade Rice Milk ~ Easy!”

1. Sarah says:

This is great! I've been wanting to try making rice milk! You are another blogger that I swear knows what is in my head… Out of curiosity, do you add the salt for the flavor or does it do something for the texture or change the way it blends or whatever – food chemistry has always baffled me… (Along those lines do you add salt to your cooking water when you cook the rice? That's another one I've been trying to figure out because it definitely changes how it cooks) I can't wait to give it a try!!!

2. Tracy says:

Looking forward to trying this 🙂

3. why do you use the dates? I'm assuming they can be left out so there is less sugar.

4. plus the pulp is excellent for rice pudding / rice porridge 🙂

5. Anonymous says:

Can this be frozen? My husband uses it with his cereal, but I never know when he's gonna want it. It may be 3 days in a row, or not for a month.

Hi Sarah! Salt is strictly a matter of taste and has no effect at all on the finished product. Same with the cooked rice. Some people add salt. I don't but I restrict my sodium intake to 1200mg per day max. 🙂

Yes! You can certainly leave out the dates. They create a tinge of sweetness.

Yes, absolutely you can freeze the milk!

9. Sarah says:

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification!

10. Unknown says:

This is great, thank you. I have been making a lot of almond milk lately so this would be a good change.
    Erin