Nov 26, 2014

Homemade Coconut Milk… 2 Ingredients… 100% Coconut!

I want to share with you this FABULOUS coconut milk recipe. I’ve used canned coconut milk, like forever, for recipes that call for it. Not anymore! Toss that canned crap and give a big, warm welcome to this divine beverage. Divine, I tell you! Smooth, sweet and creamy. It’s like drinking a coconut. The flavor is amazing. I could have guzzled the ENTIRE batch easily. Self restraint was difficult.

Coconuts are very high in fat, so I don’t often indulge. I know you’re thinking that it’s good fat. Well, maybe a small percentage of it is good. But it’s still a high caloric load and most of those calories are from fat. What about coconut oil? Gah! Don’t get me started. Many vegans and raw foodists proclaim the health benefits of coconut oil and use it abundantly. At 92% saturated fat, um, I’ll pass. See my post What I Didn’t Know About Tropical Oils for a detailed view on the subject. Of course, as with any controversial subject, some of you may not agree!

All you need to make this milk is 2 ingredients: dried, shredded coconut and pure coconut water. And a blender, of course. You could also certainly use freshly-grated coconut meat, but it is sometimes difficult to find fresh coconuts, at least where I live. So, if you have a recipe that calls for coconut milk, or just simply want to indulge in a smooth, sweet treat, here it is.

• 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3 cups pure coconut water
NOTE: Use a 1:1 ratio for a creamier, thicker milk.

1. Blend on high for one to three minutes, depending on the power of your blender.
  2. Strain through a nut bag (this step is crucial for a smooth milk).
  3. Save the pulp! It’s your own homemade coconut flour. Dehydrate it for future use or use within 24 hours.
  4. Shake well before using as it WILL separate… no stabilizers in there!
dig my nifty gif?
Makes a little more than 3 cups (or about 2 cans worth). Enjoy!

Wishing all my U.S. readers a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

10 responses to “Homemade Coconut Milk… 2 Ingredients… 100% Coconut!”

1. Bonnie says:

Thank you for the post. I'm with you on the no coconut oil and avoid coconut milk if at all possible. I like your recipe! When I recipe calls for coconut milk I generally put a teaspoon of coconut extract in a cup of non-dairy milk and that been satisfactory.

I like that idea, Bonnie! Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

Hi Helyn, Thank you from the bottom of my health conscious heart for this ingenious recipe. Any idea how long it will last in the fridge:

4. Not to be snarky at all, but I'm wondering why you don't just blend up fresh coconut and make it fresh that way?

You're welcome! I think about 5 days or so in the fridge.

No problem! I did mention above that one could use fresh coconut meat… I just can never seem to find a good fresh one. I've given up after many tries bringing one home from the market only to be disappointed. When I lived in Florida I could always find nice coconuts. Not so here in the mountains.

7. Anonymous says:

Hi Helyn…. I have two more comments regarding your great coconut milk recipe….All of the tetra pak coconut water cartons I buy in Canada say to consume within two days of opening. I had been significantly exceeding this time frame for quite a while before I noticed it on the label. The aluminum cans of coconut water don't seem to have this stipulation on their cans and thus I am wondering if it is the tetra method of packaging that limits the life of coconut water after opening. I am interested in your experience and thoughts on this. Second, I tried your fabulous recipe two ways today. One was with shredded coconut and for the second one I use frozen, shredded young coconut meat, which I bought in the frozen food section of an Asian grocery store. I tried both ways because I was interested in whether they would turn out differently and got quite a surprise! The one for which I used dried, shredded coconut turned out exactly as you described and the creamy liquid (I used a 1:1 ratio) was very sweet and flavourful….dreamy really. The second version using young thawed and shredded coconut meat did not yield any pulp! When I squeezed the nut milk bag, all of the contents came right through. Also, the milk made with the young coconut was not as sweet and did not separate when placed in the fridge. I will be using both tonight in combination, when I make a Thai curry dish. I can't wait to try this dish made with fresh, home made coconut milk! Patti

Wow! You've been busy, Patti! Well, I usually use the tetra pak coconut water from Trader Joe's. I just looked at the package and it says the same thing! I've kept these in the fridge for at least a week opened, maybe longer and they certainly don't seem to go bad. Wonder what that is all about…

Thanks for your trials with the fresh meat vs. the dried. I wonder if the freezing had any effect on the result.
    I would have thought that the young coconut meat would be sweeter! Hm, funny that.