Jan 20, 2015
Baked Banana Upside Down Oatmeal Cups
As “nutritarians” or starch-based, whole food vegans, we sure do consume a lot of oatmeal for breakfasts. At least that’s the case in our house. What about you? Are you sometimes tired of plain oatmeal to start your day? Sure, it’s quick and nutritious, and in the winter months it’s what I often reach for instead of an ice cold smoothie. Brrr.
Well… THIS. This is oatmeal with a flair. Bananas are the star of the dish and a yummy dish it is! Not only is it delicious but it’s pretty to look at and relatively portable. Yep, make them ahead and take them to work or on a trip. Of course, they are best and yummiest right out of the oven, but I’ve indulged at room temperature, too, and was not disappointed. They’re easy to put together and certainly worth those extra few minutes to be able to enjoy these cute, little breakfast delights.
I can’t take total credit for this amazingly brilliant idea which originally came from The Breakfast Drama Queen. Thanks, Claudia!
- 1½ cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 TBS ground flax seeds
- 1 cup tightly-packed, mashed bananas (2 medium-large bananas)
- 1 cup unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used homemade cashew milk)
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup or other natural sweetener of your choice
- 1 sliced banana
- slivered almonds for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease four ½-cup ramekins or pudding cups, then arrange the banana slices in the bottoms of the cups.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together, stirring well to combine.
- If possible, let sit for about one hour. This will help the oats to absorb the liquids. This step isn’t crucial, but your oats will be a little bit chewier if skipped—no big deal.
- Spoon into the ramekins, dividing the batter evenly among them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until set.
- When cool enough to handle, slide a sharp paring knife around the edges of each cup and carefully invert onto plates.
- Top with slivered almonds and extra milk or sweetener if you like!