Jan 03, 2015
Greetings fair readers! I hope you enjoyed a safe and happy holiday season. Do you have any leftover black-eyed peas from your healthy New Year’s feast? If so, or even if not, you may want to try this yummy dish. Basically, it’s hummus using black-eyed peas instead of chick peas, with the addition of some greens. My honey had a fabulous idea to make it a true hillbilly dish, and that is to substitute the garlic with ramps! Have you ever had them? See my post on Roasted Ramps for an in depth view of ramps.
As with any hummus, this recipe is super easy and comes together in minutes…
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 cup loosely-packed, rough-chopped, lightly steamed collards or kale
- 2 TBS tahini
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (or 2 ramps, roughly chopped)
- Steam the collards or kale just until bright green (5-10 minutes). Don’t overcook!
- Place all ingredients, except the greens, in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the greens and pulse a few times just to combine and to break them into smaller pieces.