Jan 13, 2015

Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing + How Many Poppy Seeds Are Too Many?

Here’s a quick and yummy dressing or sauce that you can use to top some fresh fruit or even a green salad! So what’s the deal with poppy seeds anyway? They are the seeds that are derived from the dried pod of the poppy plant, and while they do contain small levels of opium alkaloids, when consumed in food these compounds produce a minimal effect on the human nervous system.

But what about eating poppy seeds just prior to undergoing a drug screening? Here’s what Dr. Greger has to say about these crunchy little guys: How Many Poppy Seeds Are Too Many?

Poppy seeds’ nutty, aromatic flavor is because of many fatty acids and essential volatile oils, which comprise about 50% of their net weight. The seeds are especially rich in oleic and linoleic acids. Oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, helps lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL or “good cholesterol” levels in the blood.

The seeds also have lots of healthy fiber and are a good source of B vitamins as well as minerals. So, enjoy them in moderation, like in baked goods or this tasty dressing!

• 1 banana
  • 1½ cups strawberries
  • 1 TBS ground chia seeds
  • 1 TBS poppy seeds

• Blend the first three ingredients. Add the poppy seeds and stir well to combine.

Makes about 2 cups. Enjoy!

8 responses to “Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing + How Many Poppy Seeds Are Too Many?”

1. Anonymous says:

Sounds awesome! Before I make this tonight, can I grind the chia seeds in my coffee grinder? Thank you!

Yes, totally! I do have 2 separate grinders, one for coffee and one for spices and seeds. Just make sure the coffee grinder is as clean as possible to avoid the seeds picking up a coffee flavor. I always have ground chia on hand. If you have extra, keep it in the fridge for freshness. 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

THANK YOU!

4. Diane Towne says:

Just made your salad dressing it was delicious … I do have some leftover .. How long will it last in the fridge?

Hi Diane! Glad you liked it… it doesn't last long, unfortunately. About a day or two max (probably because of the banana). I usually just eat it plain for dessert if I have any leftover! :))

6. Diane Towne says:

Thanks for the information .. I'll definitely finish it up today

7. Lesley says:

I don't have a coffee grinder. I live in the UK can you recommend one please. And will I use it a lot??..

Lesley, check on Amazon. Krups and Cuisinart are both good brands. You only need a small one. And yes, if you are going to be making a lot of my recipes you will use it a lot! 🙂