Oct 01, 2015
Potato-Kale-Onion Frittata ~ Plant-based and Oil-free!
It’s National Kale Day! Woohoo! I couldn’t let the day go by without sharing a newfangled recipe with you, which includes that super duper cruciferous green we all know and love.
Frittata is another version of an omelet. It’s an Italian word that, roughly, means fried. Frittatas are made in a sauté pan and are usually turned out (flipped over) onto a serving plate and sliced into pie-shaped portions. Yes, those frittatas look lovely but, no, you can’t unmold them like that without oil, and quite a bit of it, on the pan. And, obviously, eggs hold together and unmold easily. One of the best egg substitutes to use for omelets, breakfast crepes and frittatas is chickpea flour. Also known as besan, this flour rocks the vegan world with its versatility and nutritional profile. Getcherself some!
I used just a smidgen of oil for my pan in the beginning so I knew it would be pointless to try inverting this baby. But it’s delicious nonetheless, it slices well and is easy to get the portions out. I used my trusty cast iron skillet but you can use any oven-safe pan to make this. If you have a non-stick, oven-safe skillet then perhaps you can achieve that traditional flip for a beautiful presentation of this yummy dish.
~ for the filling
- 2 cups diced potatoes (I used white potatoes, left the skin on)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
~ for the “egg”
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2¼ cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp Kala Namak black salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Blend the egg ingredients together until combined and set aside.
- Dice the potatoes into ½” cubes and steam until just barely tender (don’t overcook!)
- Sauté the onion and kale with the spices in a bit of oil until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cooked potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the other ingredients.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Let set for about 15 minutes before slicing.