Oct 17, 2015
Tofu Lentil Sloppy Joes ~ Vegan and Low Fat!
Here’s a great idea for a yummy, plant-based lunch. Kid-tested and approved! The addition of tofu creates a fluffy consistency that’s just wonderful. There are lots of vegan sloppy sammiches floating around out there and I’ve certainly tried my share of them. This easy version is definitely one of my favorites and has earned a spot on my meal rotations!
- 1 cup lentils + 3 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 2 tsp dried, chopped onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 TBS yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup ketchup (with NO high fructose corn syrup, please!)
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 2 TBS molasses
- 1 TBS tamari or other lower salt soy sauce
- pinch cloves
- Freeze the tofu and remove from freezer 2-3 days prior to making this recipe.
- Press the tofu to remove as much moisture as possible. Pulse in a food processor until crumbly and set aside.
- Combine the lentils with the water, bay leaves, onion and Spike and simmer until most of the water is absorbed.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook on low for about 20 more minutes so that the flavors will meld. If the mixture seems too thick, add a bit of water.
- Serve on a bun, your favorite bread or with some crackers!
Serves 6. Enjoy!