Nov 30, 2012
Superfood Blueberry Smoothie
It’s a chilly morning here in the Smoky Mountains today but I couldn’t resist my usual morning smoothie! So much flavor and LOADED with nutrients… it’s really a great way to get some raw greens into your diet, too, if you’re not a big fan. I find some people don’t like the taste of kale (I love it, but maybe it’s an acquired taste). In this smoothie you can’t taste the greens, only the yummy fruits! It’s an easy fix and your body will thank you. This smoothie lasts me well into the early afternoon.
- 1-2 frozen bananas (depending on how sweet you like it)
- handful of frozen mango, peaches or pineapple
- 3-5 leaves of fresh kale (stems removed–you can also throw in some spinach or collards)
- 2 TBS ground flax meal
- 1 can (17 oz) coconut water (find in health food stores)
- 1 TBS maca powder
- 1 TBS pomegranate juice concentrate
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Place all ingredients except blueberries in high-powered blender (VitaMix is the best!) and blend well.
- Add blueberries about a cup at a time and blend until all are incorporated.
Helyn’s Notes: If you can’t find coconut water, plain water may be used or soy milk for a creamier version. Berries should be organic or wild-harvested. The organic ones can be costly. I found a great brand of wild blueberries in my local supermarket (Wyman’s, pictured above) so check to see if yours has them.
Makes about 5 cups… for 2 large smoothies. Enjoy!