Dec 06, 2012
Broccoli Cheeze Soup
This soup is SO easy to make and I have yet to find anyone who doesn’t rave about it! Vegans and non-vegans alike will give you kudos on this one. It has a subtle cheesy flavor and it’s rich and filling.
I warned you that you’d be seeing lots of cashews in my recipes that call for dairy and this one is no exception…
- 1 head of fresh broccoli (or one large bag of frozen)
- 1 cup chopped kale, loosely filled
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS raw tahini
- 1 TBS dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 2 TBS liquid amino acids (or tamari) to taste
- Daiya Cheddar Shreds for topping (optional)
- Chop the broccoli into 1-2″ pieces (stems included) and place into a medium sized pot (if you’re using frozen, just use as is).
- Add the kale (already rough chopped).
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the cashews and the tahini.
- Add water, just enough to barely cover everything.
- Cook on medium until the broccoli is fork tender– but not overcooked and mushy!
- Place the cashews and the tahini in a high powered blender and add a few ladle-fulls of the liquid from the soup stock.
- Blend this until the cashews are creamy and no chunks remain.
- Add the remaining ingredients from the pot (use caution, of course, as it will be very hot!)
- Blend well. You can add a little more water at this point, depending on how thick you like your soup. I like mine to be pretty thick so I normally don’t add more.
- Transfer back to pot for serving.
- Top each bowl with a little of the “cheese” if using.
Helyn’s Notes: As I have mentioned before, Spike Salt-Free Seasoning is an excellent item to have in your Nutritarian cupboard. It adds a lot of flavor to many different dishes. Spices are especially important in low-salt cooking. This soup, in particular, needs the spices since it is a cheese alternative dish and cheese tends to be very salty! The tamari or liquid aminos do add some sodium to the dish helping to achieve the cheesy flavor, along with the nutritional yeast.
Serves 4. Enjoy!