Dec 03, 2012
I’m from New York City, so I grew up with Jewish delicatessen Reubens. Traditionally made with a mound of pastrami and swiss cheese (Oy! The cholesterol!), my version is heart-friendly and pretty tasty, too…
- 1 package tempeh
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- Dairy-free cheese (see my notes below for the absolute best brand that I have found!)
- Thousand Island Dressing (you can buy it or make it, see my healthy recipe here)
- Vegan butter substitute for grilling the bread
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- Slice the tempeh in half crossways and then in half lengthways (see photos).
- Add dressing to both sides of bread.
- Add the sliced tempeh to one side.
- Add sauerkraut to the other side (I like to pile it on!).
- Add “cheese”on top of kraut.
- Spread vegan butter on both sides of sandwich.
- Put slices together and grill on low heat until bread is toasty and golden.
Helyn’s Notes: I have tried every brand of “fake cheese” on the market. FINALLY I found one that tastes and behaves just like the real thing. The brand is Daiya. Don’t ask me how to pronounce it…
I just know it’s great! Use it sparingly. It doesn’t take much to get a nice melty, gooey consistency. Also, it does contain added oil, so that’s another reason I don’t use it often or in large amounts.