Jan 29, 2013
Cheezy Pizza Kale Chips
These guys are great for a quick, nutritious snack and travel well, so grab some and go!
- 1 large head kale (any kind, I used purple kale for these)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1 tsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic (fresh or roasted)
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast (gives it the cheesy flavor!)
- 1 tsp paprika
- dash of your favorite hot sauce or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
|Just out of the oven|
- Preheat your oven to the lowest temperature, usually labeled “warm” (about 150 degrees F)
- Chop the kale into 2-3″ pieces (they shrink when they dry out), discarding the thick center stem. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place all remaining ingredients, except 1 TBS nutritional yeast and 1 tsp paprika, into a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended ingredients onto the kale and massage it in so that every leaf has a good coating (the fun part, especially if you have kids who can help!).
- Spread onto a parchment lined cookie sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining nutritional yeast and the paprika over the top and bake until dry. Mine took about 4 hours. Flip them once when the tops are dry so the bottoms can dry out as well. Make SURE they’re completely dry before you take them out. If there’s any moisture left at all, they’ll lose their crispiness very quickly when they cool.
- Let cool completely and then store in an airtight container or ziplock bag.