Jan 14, 2013
Chocolate Cherry Smoothies
Kids, young and old, will love the creamy, rich, chocolatey goodness of this nutrient-dense smoothie, infused with the distinct flavor of sweet cherries! I hadn’t gone food shopping yet this morning and was out of blueberries so decided to whip up something a little different. WOW, was I happy with the flavors achieved in this smoothie!
Cocoa powder has all of the health benefits of solid chocolate, minus the fat. In fact, cocoa powder can contain up to 10% of its weight in flavonoids and contains more antioxidants and flavonoids than any other food! Antioxidants have the power to reverse cellular damage and flavonoids have been proven to improve circulation and reduce blood pressure… Life is good.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted black cherries
- 2 medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2-3 leaves fresh kale (no, you cannot taste them in here, I promise!)
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk (or other unsweetened dairy-free milk)
- 2 TBS unsweetened, non-alkalized (or raw) cocoa powder (see notes)
- Place the banana, kale, cashews and milk in a high-powered blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
Makes 5 cups. Enjoy!
1. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Sep 24;56(18):8527-33. doi: 10.1021/jf801670p. Epub 2008 Aug 19.