Jan 07, 2013
Think you don’t like kale? You will when you try this recipe!
A friend of mine sent me an email regarding my last post about kale. He said, “I buy kale so it can go bad in the fridge.” That was funny, but not really because I’m sure it happens a lot. Especially this time of the year when New Years’ resolutions abound.
Well, if you never knew what to do with kale, here is the easiest, most delicious recipe you will ever find. It’s absolutely LOADED with nutrients, too. I double dare you to try it!
- 4 cups chopped kale (packed tight)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 TBS onion flakes
- pinch of nutmeg
- Place kale plus one cup of water in a deep pan (or a pot).
- Cover and simmer until tender.
- In the meantime, place the cashews, remaining water and onion flakes in a high powered blender (see notes)
- Process until smooth.
- By the time the water has mostly steamed off, the kale will be ready.
- Pour the cashew “cream” over the kale and stir to combine and cook on low a little bit longer to fully incorporate the sauce into the kale. Don’t worry if it seems too watery; as the cashew cream heats up it will thicken quite a bit.
- Add the pinch of nutmeg to finish.
Serves 2 (like most greens, the kale cooks down a lot). Enjoy!
Helyn’s Notes: If you don’t have one, now would be a good time to invest in a high powered blender such as a Vitamix. They are phenomenal in so many ways.