Jan 28, 2013
Roasted Vegetable & Tofu Teriyaki
You can use whatever veggies you want for this dish. I used broccoli, onion, cabbage, carrots, whole garlic cloves and bok choy. The most important part of this recipe is the teriyaki sauce and it’s a cinch to make. And the sauce will also serve as a marinade for the tofu.
- Enough veggies to cover a large, sheet pan (a cookie sheet with a rim) in a single layer
- 1 TBS coconut oil, melted (warm)
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (I use Coconut Aminos)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2″ knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 TBS date or coconut sugar (or other minimally processed sweetener)
- 2 tsp tapioca flour (or whatever natural thickener you normally use) + 2 tsp water, mixed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently squeeze out as much water as possible from the tofu using paper towels.
- Slice the tofu into 1-2″ pieces.
- Combine all of the teriyaki sauce ingredients except for the tapioca flour and the 2 tsp water.
- Marinate the tofu slices in the sauce for about 30 minutes.
- Remove tofu slices from the sauce and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once after 15 minutes. It should become tan around the edges.
- When done, set the tofu aside, cover to keep warm and raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Pour the sauce the tofu was marinating in into a small sauce pan.
- Mix the tapioca with the water and add this to the teriyaki sauce. Whisk until thickened on medium high heat. Add a bit more water if it gets too thick. Then turn heat to low to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, chop all your veggies into bite-sized pieces and place in the sheet pan. If you don’t have a sheet pan, any large, shallow casserole dish will do as well.
- Coat the veggies with the melted coconut oil, coating them all as evenly as possible.
- Roast the veggies for 20-25 minutes, turning once for even cooking. They should be a little brown in some areas which means that they have caramelized and will be wonderfully sweet!
- When the veggies are done, simply plate them with the tofu and top with the yummy teriyaki sauce!
- Serve with rice if you like.