Jan 01, 2013
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Cranberry Orange Walnut Muffins
NOTE: This is one of my first plant-based recipes and it does use oil… watch for an oil-free version soon!
I created these goodies to take to a New Year’s Day party. The flavor from the orange is perfect with the tart cranberries. They’re not too sweet and make a really nice breakfast muffin. I was a little worried that the berries wouldn’t pop open in the short amount of time that they’re in the oven (compared to a cranberry loaf which takes almost an hour to bake). No problem… “Poppity-Pop-Pop-Pop” (you win a prize if you can tell me where that saying comes from!)
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (don’t ask me to type that again)
- 1/2 TBS baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 small orange
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 TBS ground flaxseeds
- 6 TBS water
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (or frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin (I use silicone).
- Combine the flax meal with the water. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl except the walnuts and cranberries.
- Zest the orange over the dry ingredients and combine.
- Peel the orange and blend it in a blender.
- Combine all the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Lastly add the walnuts and cranberries and stir to combine.
- Portion the batter into the muffin tin (I use an ice cream scoop, works great)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (inserted in a cakey part, not right into a cranberry).
- Top with vegan cream cheese icing and chopped walnuts for garnish (optional).
|Red walnuts, which are in season in December are a colorful topping for these beauties!|
For the icing:
Combine 1/2 container (4 oz) vegan cream cheese and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Whisk well.
Makes 12 muffins. Enjoy!