Feb 03, 2013
Game Day 3-Bean Vegan Chili + Secret Ingredient
Happy Superbowl Sunday! I’m sure many of you will be cooking today and perhaps have already planned your meal. If you’re still looking for something quick and healthy, here’s a hearty chili recipe your fans will love! Using canned beans is a great way to quickly put together a tasty chili dish in no time. I use Eden brand because they do not contain added salt. Adding some veggies to your chili, like corn, carrots and green pepper, livens it up and adds color and nutrients. This pot will feed 8-10 cheering guests. Of course you can always increase the ingredient amounts to satisfy a larger crowd.
I have never shared my secret chili ingredient with anyone until now!
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cans pinto beans
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 4-6 cups water, depending on how thick you want it
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 small bags frozen corn
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1-2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 TBS cumin
- 3 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS date sugar (or any minimally processed sweetener)
- 2 TBS Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or salt to taste)
- 1 tsp of your favorite hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1 TBS non-alkalized, unsweetened cocoa powder—secret ingredient! (see notes)
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Add all ingredients, except tomato paste and corn, to a large pot.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. The longer the chili cooks, the better for incorporating all the heavenly spices and combining the flavors.
- When chili is done cooking, add a bit of water to the tomato paste so that it will blend into the soup easily, then add it and the corn to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve topped with vegan cheese and/or sour cream if you like and corn chips or corn bread.