Feb 01, 2013
Purple Haze Kale Soup
If you’ve been following my blog for any time now you may know that I’ve been having a long-time love affair with kale and it’s not about to end any time soon. Until I began eating healthfully, I never even knew what kale was, other than that small bit of green that restaurants would use to garnish my steak and potato dish. I always left it on my plate, lonely and seemingly inedible. Little did I know…
I found this spectacular purple kale on my last visit to Whole Foods and picked up two huge bunches that I could barely squeeze into the produce bags.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cups tightly packed, chopped purple kale
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 redskin potato, unpeeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 can white beans, rinsed
- 2 tsp summer savory (or substitute 1 tsp parsley flakes + 1 tsp marjoram)
- 2 TBS low-sodium veggie base (I use Vogue brand)
- 2 TBS salt-free Spike or other all purpose low-sodium spice mix
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Place all ingredients, except the beans and the cashews into a soup pot and simmer until veggies are tender.
- When the soup is done, add the cashews to a high powdered blender and ladle some of the soup broth over them, just enough to cover. Blend until smooth and add to soup.
- Add beans and stir to combine.
Serves 4. Enjoy!
” ‘Scuse me while I kiss the sky…”