Feb 02, 2013
Quinoa + Sprouted Buckwheat Hot Cereal
I was going to call this breakfast cereal “Hard Core Hot Cereal” because of the perhaps hard core ingredients (depending on your nutritional savvy and vegan palate); sprouted buckwheat, nutty quinoa, hemp cream (made with homemade hemp seed butter, thank you Mikey!), raw pumpkin seeds… I somehow don’t think my 2-month old readership has expanded to the point where I will have many who will want to try this, but I could be wrong! Are you adventurous in the kitchen? Here’s a nutrient-dense breakfast that will test your recipe muscle…
the cereal ~
- 1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat (see my post on How to Sprout Buckwheat Groats) You can also use unsprouted buckwheat groats, just soak them for about 30 minutes and rinse prior to use.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- pinch sea salt
the toppings ~
- raw hemp seeds
- chopped Arkansas Black apples (or any kind of apple)
- hemp cream (recipe below)
- raw pumpkin seeds
|Mikey’s hemp seed butter|
- Place quinoa and buckwheat in sauce pan with water and salt.
- Bring to boil and immediately turn to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Serve topped with all the goodies.
- 1/2 cup hemp butter (made by pulsing/puréeing fresh hemp seeds in the food processor—a bit laborious for the machine but it turned out great!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar or any minimally processed sweetener
- Place everything in a high powered blender and blend until smooth