Mar 16, 2013
Eddie’s (vegan) Creamy Celery Soup
I’m on a celery kick. I’ve been buying out my local grocery store because I’ve been making a lot of celery juice lately. I had about 6 heads in my refrigerator yesterday! So I thought I’d make soup with some of it … yeah, I need a bigger fridge. This recipe is easy, easy, easy. Lots of flavor from all that celery and the cashews and dates add a touch of sweetness to balance the natural saltiness of the celery.
Eddie was my dad. I am calling this “Eddie’s Creamy Celery Soup” because cream of celery was his favorite. When I started my culinary adventures and found out that he was eating the “red can” version I just HAD to make him some, homemade. Of course, back then I used heavy cream in the recipe. He loved it and couldn’t get enough. I’d call him during the week to schedule our usual Sunday date and he’d say in a melodic voice, “Chicky….” That was my nickname that only he called me. I knew what his next words would be: “I need more soup!” Ha. Miss my dad. This one’s for you, Daddy, wherever you are.
|Dad and me, circa 2009|
- 2 cups diced celery (about 8 stalks)
- 1 diced onion
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 TBS veggie base
- 2 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Place all ingredients, except cashews in a soup pot.
- Simmer on low until veggies are tender.
- Place cashews in a high powdered blender and add just enough of the soup broth to cover the nuts.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add almost all of the soup contents into the blender (I like to leave about 1/2 cup unblended veggies for some chunkiness).
- Blend until smooth and transfer back to the pot. Careful! It will be HOT!
- Garnish with fresh parsley if you like.
Makes about 5 cups. Enjoy!