Apr 27, 2013
Broccoli Cauliflower “Peasto” + Kelp Noodles
If you’re looking for a high nutrient-per-calorie ratio meal plus great taste, here you go. This dish is ridiculously low in calories, yet amazingly satisfying. I had it for lunch and dinner never even entered my mind! I was still full. Guess it’s because there is a lot of VOLUME to the dish as well as a lot of nutrients. Pretty cool, huh?
- 1 head broccoli
- ½ head or small head cauliflower
- 4-5 stalks green onions
- 1 12 oz. package kelp noodles (find in Asian markets or online)
~ for the sauce
- 1 12 oz. package frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1½ cups unsweetened soy milk (or other non dairy milk)
- bunch of fresh basil (about ½ cup if it were chopped)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- Cut up the broccoli, cauliflower and onion into bite-sized pieces. Save one or two onions to garnish the finished dish.
- Steam the veggies until just tender.
- Heat a pot of water large enough to accommodate the noodles.
- When the water is hot but not boiling, place the noodles in and leave only until they are warm/hot. Don’t boil them. You can just take them off the heat and leave them in the water to keep warm.
- To make the sauce, place all sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a pot and heat until warm.
- Mix everything together.
Serves 2-4, depending on whether this is your main dish or if you’re using it as a side. My man and I could not finish the whole thing. But almost! Enjoy.