Apr 07, 2013
Buckwheat Pancakes Revisited. Vegan. Gluten-free. Oil-free. + Maple Cashew Cream
I am re-posting this recipe. It’s one of the first posts I ever published and the photo was kind of blah. I was using my iPhone for photos back then and I’ve since upgraded to a real camera 🙂 Although it’s a simple recipe this is one of my most popular, ever! So I thought I’d do it justice with some better photos.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup rice flour (or any other gluten-free flour)
- 2 TBS ground flax
- 1 TBS baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1TBS date sugar or other minimally processed sweetener
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups soy milk (or other non-dairy beverage)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix well. Let sit for about 5 minutes. The batter will be pretty thick. At this point you can add nuts or fruit if you like.
- Using a ladle (or better an ice cream scoop), drop onto a medium-hot skillet. Use about 1/4 cup per cake. I use a little vegetable oil to prevent sticking but if you have a good non-stick skillet you can omit this.
- Flip cakes when some bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is firm, dry and golden. Cook another few minutes, until golden on the bottom.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used soy milk)
- 2 TBS maple syrup (try to use Grade B, it has more nutrients)
- 1/4 tsp natural maple flavoring
- Place all ingredients in a high powdered blender and blend until smooth. If you let the blender run a bit longer it will warm up the cream so you won’t have to do it on the stove!