Apr 22, 2013
Good Morning Sunshine Breakfast Salad
Happy Earth Day! This year I can honestly say that I am supporting our dear Mother Earth by eating locally grown, organic foods from sustainable sources, recycling and growing my own garden! Eating a plant-based diet every day can help protect our natural resources…
“Keeping your diet focused on plant-based foods is not only a way to improve your health, it’s also a way to improve the health of our planet. Choosing organic foods that have been produced in a sustainable manner is a way to protect yourself from unwanted pesticide residues and other food contaminants that can degrade your body systems. It is also a way to protect the environment from practices that can degrade the quality of our soil, water, and air. And by protecting our environment, we can help pave the way for future production of healthy foods.” ~ The World’s Healthiest Foods (The George Mateljan Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation with no commercial interests or advertising, is a new force for change to help make a healthier you and a healthier world).
The creamy strawberry dressing really blends all of the flavors together. Simply luscious. I was in heaven eating this salad!
~ the salad
- 1 large head Boston lettuce
- 1 sweet apple
- 2 ripe mangos
- 2 cups ripe papaya
- 2 oranges, sectioned
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- raw sunflower seeds for garnish
~ the strawberry dressing
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- First make your dressing by placing all ingredients into a high powdered blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Cut up the lettuce into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the apple, mangos and papaya into bite-sized pieces.
- Shred the carrot.
- Combine all fruit and the carrot into a bowl and toss to combine.
- Plate the salad and top with the fruit and some sunflower seeds.
- Serve with the dressing.