Apr 23, 2013
Spaghetti with Chickpeas… Easy Vegan Meal.
This is a comfort-food meal from my childhood. My mom worked full time. My dad worked two jobs. So this meal was a staple as it was so fast and easy to prepare. I often made it when I was a single mom and working two jobs myself! And boy, is it delicious!
As far as micronutrient content goes… no, this dish is certainly not at the top of the list. But it’s wholesome, hearty and filling. You can include a fresh salad for more nutrients! So if you get home late and need something quick and simple to prepare in a pinch, here it is…
- 1 pound spaghetti (I used brown rice spaghetti. See notes.)
- 2 cans no salt added garbanzo beans (chick peas)– no need to drain
- 2 cups water
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 TBS Coconut Aminos or any low sodium soy sauce.
- 2 tsp kuzu root (or any natural thickener such as corn starch or tapioca flour)
- Boil the pasta.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, place the beans, garlic, onion, parsley and water in a sauce pan and simmer on low heat.
- When the beans are hot, prepare a slurry with the thickener. Just add some cold water to form a loose paste. Add this to the bean mixture and stir to combine. It should thicken the broth a little but not too much. Add more if needed.
- Serve the pasta with the chickpea mixture.
- Top with some extra parsley and almond parmesan cheeze (optional)