Apr 03, 2013

Plant-Based Moussaka

I broke the Cardinal Rule and made this dish for the first time for company. Brave! But it turned out great so my worry was in vain. I have rarely eaten traditional Moussaka. Whenever I ate at Greek restaurants I’d always order the spinach pie and a salad. So, not being very familiar with the way it “should” taste, it was a tad adventurous adapting it to my vegan menu.

It takes a bit of time to put this together but what I love about it is that it can be prepared ahead of time… like lasagna. Then you can avoid scrambling around while company is waiting. I scrambled around anyway. I never give myself adequate time to prepare when company is coming for dinner. I must like it that way because I’m always “in the weeds” when cooking for a crowd. Must be the adrenaline rush or something.

Anyway, THE most amazing part of this recipe for me was, hands down, the ground “meat” replacement (idea snitched from Diet, Dessert & Dogs). What a fabulous idea! It’s incredible to me how, after over a year of vegan recipe hunting for new ideas, I can still find something so fresh and creative. It was easy to make and it looks like, tastes like and has the texture of ground beef. Perfect for this and other recipes… like lasagna. Yes, I think it’s going to be time to make a vegan lasagna soon!

cauliflower walnut mixture, before baking

Health trails,

6 responses to “Plant-Based Moussaka”

1. Claudia Ring says:

Hey Helyn.

I'm very happy your emails are coming to me now. This veggie moussaka was wonderful! Question, though. My bechamel sauce did not thicken. Any helpful hints?

Hi Claudia! Oh, good, glad you're getting them now… hmmm… not sure why it wouldn't thicken. I've made many sauces this way and it always thickens up. You baked it WITH the sauce on and followed the recipe and directions exactly?

3. Claudia Ring says:

I feel I did. Add some of water and cashews to my Vitamix with nutmeg. Blend till smooth, then add this rest of the water. Pour on top of moussaka.

I will be trying this again, so if you see nothing wrong with what I did, I'll report how the next one goes.

Yes, please let me know how the second round goes. I really have no clue as to what when wrong :-

5. Barbara says:

Hi Helen,
    I love your recipes! I have been looking for vegan comfort food recipes and I hit the “motherlode”! I spent the better part of Sunday looking at your site. Yum is all I can say.
    So my first recipe…the Vegan Moussaka! It turned out amazing. My only mistake was not grinding down the walnuts enough. I think that combo should always be in the refrigerator as a go to “meat”. I loved the flavors. I can see using it a lot for who knows what.
    Your inspiration will certainly help me on my journey to further clean up my diet and eat less meat. I have decided this week will be meatless. I will be on your site a lot! LOL!
    Baking the artichoke stuffed mushrooms now. I will let you know how they come out. Thank you again for your inspiration and wonderful recipes.

Barbara you are so welcome! Glad you’re here! I’m always available for questions so don’t hesitate to contact me about any recipe. Enjoy and have fun!! xo