Apr 21, 2013
Vegan No-Noodles Lasagna
Not only is it no noodles, it’s also no cheese and no meat. But you’d never know it! The ricotta cheese substitute is amazing in this dish! And the ground “meat” made from roasted cauliflower and walnuts is to die for. YUMMERS!
You can use whatever veggies you want inside this lasagna. I used zucchini. You can add or substitute with carrots, spinach, yellow squash… whatever you like! As long as you use eggplant in place of noodles to hold everything together, the sky’s the limit on this new classic.
~ for the ricotta
- 8 oz. super firm tofu
- 1 cup raw cashews
- scant 1 cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves garlic (I used a huge roasted elephant garlic clove)
- 1 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp date sugar or any minimally processed sweetener
- juice of ½ lemon
~ the rest
- 2 large globe eggplants
- 1 extra large zucchini
- as mentioned, whatever other vegetables you want to add
- 1 large jar of your favorite tomato sauce (see notes)
- ~ 1 TBS dried basil
- almond parmesan cheeze for garnish
- See THIS POST for the meat substitute recipe.
- First make the cauliflower/walnut meat (see instructions here)
- While the “meat” is roasting, make the ricotta:
- Place the cashews and water in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Squeeze as much water from the tofu as you can.
- Place the tofu, cashew blend and all remaining ricotta ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the eggplant and the slice the veggies. If you’re using a zucchini or carrots, slice them on the bias so the slices are larger. They will work better in the layering this way.
- When the “meat” is done baking you can now begin the assembly. Just leave the oven on since it will be at the correct temperature for the lasagna…