May 31, 2013
Blueberry Breakfast Muffins. Vegan and Gluten-free.
These blueberry muffins are perfect for breakfast. Not too sweet, very hearty, and perfect with a shmear of vegan cream cheese… I had too many of these this morning!
- ½ cup oat flour (Make it yourself using your blender! Just use organic rolled oats… takes less than a minute. Make sure it’s certified gluten-free oats if you’re gluten intolerant)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup date sugar or other minimally processed dry sweetener
- 1 TBS potato starch, tapioca flour, kuzu or any vegan starch
- 1 TBS oat bran
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk or other non dairy milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 TBS flax meal + 2 TBS water
- 1 TBS oil (I used sunflower oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 12-muffin pan (lightly grease or use paper liners)
- Mix the flax meal and water and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except the blueberries).
- Combine all wet ingredients (including the flax mixture).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir well to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until slightly cracked on top and golden.
- Serve with vegan cream cheese (optional but highly recommended!)
Makes one dozen. Enjoy!