May 20, 2013
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Vegan, Grain-free and Oil-free.
It was a rainy, dreary afternoon in the mountains yesterday. You know what that means… cookies! I’m really glad I don’t live in Seattle or London. I’d be eating way too many of my own baked goodies! I just really enjoy baking when the weather is nasty. It’s comforting somehow… the oven warming the dampness out of the house, the delicious smells… I guess it creates the feeling of a cozy, happy home.
If you like chewy cookies, you will LOVE these. They are ridiculously simple to make with minimal ingredients. I used mini chocolate chips but I’m sure regular ones would work, too. But the minis fit perfectly inside these small delights.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or any minimally processed, granulated sweetener)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 TBS flax meal + 3 TBS water
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flax meal with water and vanilla and set aside.
- Place almond flour, sugar, baking powder and chocolate chips in a food processor and process until just combined.
- With the food processor running, pour in the flax mixture and process until combined.
- Using a 1″ ice cream scoop, form the cookies and place on the cookie sheet, pressing them down to about ½” high. Shape the edges a bit if they get too crumbly. The cookies won’t change in shape much when they are baked. They will rise just a little.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
Makes about 18 cookies. Enjoy!