May 22, 2013
Punjabi Baingan Bharta (Punjabi Style Eggplant)
Punjabi Baingan Bharta is just one of several versions of eggplant bharta there are in Indian cooking. The word ‘Bharta’ (pronounced BHURR-taah) refers to dishes in which the ingredients are roughly mashed either before or after preparation. Bhartas are largely North Indian in origin and made from all sorts of vegetables. While it may not win any beauty contests, I created this version of Baingan Bharta as one that is fast and simple to prepare and has tons of flavor.
- 1 large eggplant, cubed (I usually peel mine, too, as the skin can be bitter and hard to digest)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ cup water
- 2 TBS fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 TBS coconut aminos (or any low-sodium soy sauce)
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1 TBS apricot spread
- 1 15 oz can salt-free garbanzo beans
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Place eggplant, onion, fenugreek leaves and garam masala in a deep sauté pan with the water.
- Cover and simmer until the onions are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Simmer about 30 minutes more.
- Serve as is or with some brown basmati rice. Garnish with cilantro.