May 14, 2013
Rainbow Quinoa Salad
Wow! This salad is beautiful, easy to make and the flavors are fresh and inviting. You can use this as a side dish, an appetizer or even a main dish! It’s quite satisfying with all the beans, seeds and veggies. It’s also great for taking on the road because it keeps well and is easy to transport. I made a big batch of this fun dish for our Florida trip, filled up some plastic containers and it kept us happy and full on our drive along the way.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- Cook the quinoa. Use 1 cup uncooked grain to 2 cups water, just like rice. Make sure you rinse the quinoa well before cooking. Most quinoa is rinsed when you purchase it but I always rinse mine just in case. The seeds are coated with saponins, naturally-occurring plant chemicals that can cause a bitter taste. Their purpose is to keep insects from eating the plant! Place the water and quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover and let simmer until all the water is absorbed.
- Let the quinoa cool, add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- That’s it!