May 30, 2013
South of the Border Salad
How about an easy-to-prepare salad that is loaded with nutrients and plenty of tasty Mexican flavors? Total prep time: 10 minutes. Here it is!
- 1 head lettuce of your choice (I used a tender red leaf lettuce)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 15 oz. can salt-free black beans
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 TBS chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Your favorite hot sauce for garnish (optional)
Feel free to add other veggies, too! Tomato, red peppers and/or cucumber would be a wonderful addition.
- Chop the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and stir gently (to keep the avo from breaking apart too much).
- Top the lettuce with the bean and veggie mix.
- You don’t even need a dressing for this salad as the topping ingredients are so moist. Just toss them with the lettuce on your plate! Garnish with some hot sauce for extra flavor and some spicy kick.
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side. Delicious with low-sodium corn chips. Enjoy!