May 10, 2013
Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie. Vegan.
Is it a smoothie or is it a dessert? I felt oddly guilty having this smoothie for breakfast. It was like having a slice of decadent cheesecake. Really! As I was enjoying the dozens of taste explosions in my mouth I couldn’t help pondering how silly it is that most meat eaters who think about vegans believe that we are somehow deprived. Ha! Hardly. And this smoothie proves it.
- 2 cups frozen organic strawberries
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk or other unsweetened non-dairy milk (see notes)
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese
- 4 medjool dates
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs. It’s hard to say exactly how many crackers will make this much crumb. You’ll have to guesstimate! Doesn’t have to be precise. It can be hard to find gluten-free grahams. Kinnikinnick brand makes one called S’moreables Graham Style Crackers which are sometimes in health food stores. If you aren’t gluten-intolerant you can use Midel Honey Grahams which are 100% whole wheat.
- 1 medjool date
- 4 fresh, ripe, organic strawberries
- 1 TBS strawberry fruit-sweetened spread (such as Polaner or St. Dalfour)
- Place graham crackers and 1 medjool date into food processor and pulse to a fine crumb. Set aside.
- Chop the fresh strawberries and mix with the fruit spread. Set aside.
- Place all smoothie ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Create layers of smoothie, crumbs and strawberries, as you would a parfait.
- Serve with straws… and spoons!
Serves 2. Enjoy!