Jun 23, 2013
Southwest Black Bean Burgers + Corn Salsa
These burgers and salsa make a fabulous pair for a light, summer lunch or dinner… the burgers are loaded with flavor and a little hot kick. They’re small so you can pick them up and dip them in a sauce or dressing. And the sweet corn is such a refreshing compliment. We enjoyed this meal outside on our porch… perfect!
~ for the burgers
- 2 cans no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 1 TBS ground cumin
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS flax meal (ground flax seeds) + 3 TBS water
- 1 TBS hot sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp tamari or other low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp liquid smoke (or use smoked paprika)
~ for the corn salsa
- 1 12 oz. bag frozen organic corn
- ½ cup chopped chili peppers of your choice (I used Trader Joe’s canned roasted green peppers, though I think fresh would be better. Jalepeño would be great!)
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Place the beans in a food processor and pulse until well combined but so that you can still see some bean pieces.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Portion out the bean mixture into balls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, using an ice cream scooper (make a tight, level scoop for each burger).
- Press each burger down to about 1/2 inch tall.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then gently flip and bake 30 more minutes.
- While the burgers are baking, make your salsa. Simply mix all ingredients together.
- Serve the burgers with your favorite dressing or sauce.
Makes 12 burgers and about 3 cups of salsa. Enjoy!