Jun 05, 2013
Trail Mix Scones. Grain-free and Oil-free.
Yes! I think I am finally getting some good recipes together for you in the world of healthy baked goods. Thanks to Elana of Elana’s Pantry where I got the idea for these yummy scones. She’s a gluten-free goddess, but not vegan and not oil-free. So I switched up her recipe a bit (no egg), added more dried fruits, nuts and seeds and voilà! A nutrient-dense goodie for my cherished readers… hey, that’s you! 😉
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (if you look hard enough you can find some that are sweetened with fruit juice instead of sugar)
- ¼ cup raisins (I used Hunza raisins but you can use regular brown or golden)
- ¼ cup goji berries
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raw, unhulled sesame seeds
- 2 tsp raw chia seeds
- 1½ TBS flax meal + 3 TBS water
- 2 TBS raw honey or Grade B maple syrup
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional, but adds a nice flavor–you could also use vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add flax mixture and remaining wet ingredients.
- Smush everything together with your hands until the mixture forms a dough-like consistency. Just keep turning and smushing. It takes a few minutes.
- Place the dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Shape into a rectangle, about ¾ inch tall.
- Slice the dough in half, in half again and then slice each quadrant into triangles (see photo above)
- Separate the triangles slightly and bake for 15-17 minutes until lightly golden on top.