Jun 12, 2013
Vegan Breakfast Collard Wraps with Black Cherry Dipping Sauce
I am so excited to share this breakfast idea with you! As a nutritarian, my usual breakfast is a nutrient-rich smoothie. But sometimes I want something different. Oatmeal is an alternative but I really try to limit my grain intake. So this morning, when I was out harvesting some greens from the garden (yay!), I looked at my lovely collard leaves and instantly thought… breakfast wraps! Why not?
These luscious wraps are overflowing with an apple-nut pâté, fresh fruits, nuts and seeds and are a wonderful alternative to my usual breakfast fare. I hope you will try them!
- 4-6 collard leaves
- ½ cup raw pecans
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- 2 sweet apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries (or frozen and thawed)
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 TBS raw hemp seeds
~ for the dipping sauce
- 2 TBS black cherry juice concentrate (see notes)
- ½ TBS pomegranate juice concentrate
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- First make the pâté filling: add the pecans, walnuts and apples to a food processor and pulse until combined. It’s okay if there are still some nut and apple chunks in there!
- Make the dipping sauce by blending all the sauce ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth.
- Next, prepare your collard leaves (see my post on raw vegan collard wraps for step-by-step instructions on how to prepare and roll a collard wrap).
- Place ¼-½ cup of the pâté on the collard wrap (depending on the size of the leaf) and top with some strawberry slices, blueberries, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds.
- Wrap it up!
Serves 2 with 4-6 wraps, depending on how large your collard leaves are. Enjoy!